Update Browser
Your version of Internet Explorer is Outdated

This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please consider either updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer, or consider viewing the site in Chrome or Firefox.
Update Browser
You are running an old version of Android

This site was optimized for modern browsers. Please consider updating your version of Android if able.
Theater - Web

ODU Receives $75,000 for Historic Matesich Theatre Restoration

Ohio Dominican University has received a $75,000 donation from Huntington Bank to help restore and modernize ODU’s historic performance arts venue, the Sister Mary Andrew Matesich, OP Theatre.

Feb 13, 2018

Ohio Dominican University (ODU) has received a $75,000 donation from Huntington Bank to help restore and modernize ODU’s historic performance arts venue, the Sister Mary Andrew Matesich, OP Theatre, located inside Erskine Hall on ODU’s campus at 1216 Sunbury Road, Columbus, 43219.

The donation enables Ohio Dominican to begin phase two of its $1-million theater renovation project. Crews will begin restoring the theater’s plaster and woodwork, painting its walls, and making other critical repairs and updates this summer. Completion of phase two is anticipated in December 2018.

“Huntington’s generous gift enables us to embark on a particularly exciting phase of this project – one in which we will witness our beautiful theater brought back to life,” said ODU President Robert A. Gervasi, Ph.D. “We are extremely grateful to all who have supported the project, including corporate partners like Huntington, who recognize the importance of preserving historic venues such as our theater and who appreciate the outstanding education that Ohio Dominican offers its students.”

“We’re very pleased to help preserve this historic treasure and gathering place for the Ohio Dominican campus community,” said Huntington Bank Central Ohio President Sue Zazon. “The Matesich Theatre is a one-of-a-kind venue for inspiring intellectual curiosity and creativity, and we look forward to helping the university restore the theater to its former glory as a renowned destination for prominent speakers, conferences and the arts.”

The University is still raising funds to complete phase three of the theater renovation, which will be the replacement of carpet and seats in the historic venue. ODU welcomes anyone who desires to contribute at ohiodominican.edu/Theater.

About the Sr. Mary Andrew Matesich, OP Theatre
Built in 1929, the Matesich Theatre provides a venue for creativity and culture, and discussion and debate. Over the past 89 years, it has hosted national speakers and world-renown lecturers, convocations, concerts, musical presentations, book launches, international programs, commencements, and additional important events. The theater currently has a capacity of 798. After the renovations are completed, it will have a capacity of 646 seats. In 2002, the theater was named after Sr. Mary Andrew Matesich, OP, who served as ODU’s president from 1978 to 2001.

About Huntington Bancshares
Huntington Bancshares Incorporated is a regional bank holding company headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, with $104 billion of assets and a network of 966 branches and 1,848 ATMs across eight Midwestern states. Founded in 1866, The Huntington National Bank and its affiliates provide consumer, small business, commercial, treasury management, wealth management, brokerage, trust, and insurance services. Huntington also provides auto dealer, equipment finance, national settlement, and capital market services that extend beyond its core states. Visit huntington.com for more information.

About Ohio Dominican University
Ohio Dominican University is a comprehensive, four-year, private, liberal arts and master’s institution, founded in 1911 in the Catholic and Dominican tradition by the Dominican Sisters of Peace. The University has approximately 1,700 students and offers undergraduate degrees in 40 majors and nine graduate degree programs. At ODU, students connect their passion with a purpose.