Youth, Professionals Develop Company Strategies During Ohio Business Week 2009 at Ohio Dominican University

OBWLogo

2009-06-08

 COLUMBUS, OH ­­– Ohio Dominican University (ODU) is proud to promote “hands-on” business learning by hosting the 2009 Ohio Business Week program at the university’s main campus on Sunbury Road from June 7 through June 13. Over 100 students and 42 professionals are scheduled to participate in this year’s week-long program.

“Our partnership with Ohio Business Week is special because it focuses on the education of students and connecting them with real world business professionals,” said Dave Archibald, Vice President of Enrollment Management and Marketing at Ohio Dominican University. “This is our third year hosting this extraordinary event and we are pleased that not only the students live and learn on campus but the professional volunteers also reside on campus throughout the program.”

Ohio Business Week offers eligible high school sophomores and juniors a unique way to learn how to develop and execute business practices. Students are assigned to a business leadership team structure, each with a specific position – such as Chief Executive Officer or Chief Financial Officer. Each team will have a community professional to serve as an advisor. Throughout the week, these teams will work together to develop several projects, including: (1) business plan, (2) marketing plan, (3) financial plan, (4) magazine advertisement, (5) website homepage, (6) trade show display, and (7) power point presentation.

In order to be eligible for the program, students must maintain a grade point average of C+ or higher; participate in extracurricular or community activities; submit an essay detailing why they want to attend Ohio Business Week; and obtain an endorsement from a high school faculty member as well as written permission from a parent or guardian.

Ohio Business Week is a program of the Ohio Business Week Foundation, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization. Nearly 75 percent of program costs are paid by scholarship sponsors from across Ohio. Students pay the remaining 25 percent in the form of a commitment fee of $195. The fee includes meals, housing and materials for the entire week.

Highlighted Events:

Sunday, June 7

  • Student registration/move-in the dorms: 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
  • Opening Ceremony: 1:00 – 2:00 p.m. (Matesich Theatre)
  • General Assembly: 7:00 -8:00 p.m., Rich Rosen, Vice President for External Business Relations, Battelle.

Monday, June 8

  • Officer elections, conduct first company meeting: 8:00 – 10:50 a.m.

Tuesday, June 9

  • Officer elections, conduct first company meeting: 8:00 – 10:50 a.m.
  • General Assembly: 11:00-11:50 a.m., Jeff Wilson, VP & GM, Radio One, Kip Morse, President & GM, Better Business Bureau

Wednesday, June 10 (OBW T-Shirt Day)

  • Team Meetings with Battelle Consultations (1:15 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.)
  • Student Jell-O eating contest (4:00 – 5:00 p.m.)
  • VIP Luncheon: recognizing corporate partners 11:45 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.

Thursday, June 11

  • Student Team Meetings-finalizing projects (8:00 – 9:50 a.m.)

Friday, June 12

  • Student Competitions (9:00 a.m. – Noon & 1:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.)
  • Student Trade Show (for corporate partners, business and community leaders) 4:00– 5:30 p.m.

Saturday, June 13

  • Student Trade Shows (for parents) (8:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.)
  • Closing Ceremony – student scholarships awarded 10:30 a.m. – Noon.