Austin E. Knowlton, also known as “Dutch,” was the owner and chairman of the Knowlton Construction Company, an organization started in Bellefontaine, Ohio, in 1937.
His company was responsible for more than 600 major and significant construction projects throughout Ohio and the Midwest, including school buildings, hospitals, libraries and post offices.
Knowlton graduated from Bellefontaine High School in Logan County in 1927 and from The Ohio State University in 1931, where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Architectural Engineering.
He became an avid sportsman with a particular interest in saddlebred horses. Later, he served as trustee of the Little Brown Jug Society for harness racing in Delaware, Ohio.
Knowlton was a founding partner of the Cincinnati Bengals football team, for which he served as chairman. He held a major ownership interest for many years in the Cincinnati Reds baseball team.
Knowlton was a leading philanthropist with The Ohio State School of Architecture, which was named in his honor.