Ohio Dominican University was founded in 1911 by the Dominican Sisters of Peace, part of the Order of Preachers founded in 1216 by St. Dominic. The sisters still sponsor the university and are active members of the faculty, administration, and Board of Trustees.
From the beginning, Dominic sent his preachers to the great university centers to teach and to study theology and to learn about the world that was emerging and growing and developing in Europe. Dominicans were teaching at Oxford and Paris before these communities organized into what are now two of the oldest, most famous universities in the world.
The goal of the Order of Preachers for 800 years has been the evangelization of individuals and cultures through both word and example of life.