The Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs (now the Dominican Sisters of Peace) were founded in Somerset, Ohio, in 1830 and moved to Columbus in 1868. In 1911, the sisters received a charter from the state of Ohio to establish a women’s college. A successful teaching congregation for almost 100 years, the Dominicans wanted to build on the excellence of their academy and provide college classes in an area where there was no Catholic higher education available to their graduates and to the candidates for the order. After a decade of experimenting, the Sisters opened the College of St. Mary of the Springs in 1924 as a Catholic four-year liberal arts college for women. Until the college formally separated from the congregation, the congregation’s prioress, who served three-year terms, also served as the college’s president. In 1968, under Sister Suzanne Urhane’s leadership, the college changed its name to Ohio Dominican College. In 2002, under the leadership of Ohio Dominican’s first male and first lay leader, Jack P. Calareso, Ph.D., the college changed its status again to become Ohio Dominican University.
Sister Stephanie Mohun. 1911 - 1914 Sister Constance Keelty, 1914 - 1917 Sister Justina Hogan, 1917 - 1920 Sister Maria Theresa, 1920 - 1923 Sister Regina Murphy, 1923 - 1926 Sister Adele Heffley, 1926 - 1932 Sister Bernardine Lynam, 1932 - 1935 Sister Aloyse Fitzpatrick, 1935 - 1944 Sister Anacletus Oger, 1944 - 1947 Sister Angelita Conley, 1947 - 1964 Sister Suzanne Uhrhane, 1964 - 1978 Sister Mary Andrew Matesich, 1978 - 2001 Jack Calareso, Ph.D., 2001 - 2007 The Most Rev. James A. Griffin, 2007 - 2008 (interim) Brian Nedwek, Ph.D., 2008 - 2009 Ronald J. Seiffert, 2009 - 2010 (interim) Peter Cimbolic, Ph.D., 2010 - present