The Inaugural Mass was held at St. Joseph Cathedral in Downtown Columbus. Celebrants were The Most Reverend Frederick F. Campbell, DD, PhD, Bishop of the Diocese of Columbus; Fr. John Boll, OP, ’76, ODU’s Director of Campus Ministry and University Chaplin; Rev. Scott Steinkerchner, OP, ODU’s Associate Director for the Center for Dominican Studies; and Rev. Michael Dosch, OP.
Members of the University’s founding congregation, the Dominican Sisters of St. Mary of the Springs, now the Dominican Sisters of Peace, led the procession to the Mass and as well as at the Installation Ceremonies, which were held in Alumni Hall on ODU's main campus.
President Cimbolic’s wife, Kristi, served as Lector and Dr. Matthew Ponesse, ODU Professor of History and Honors Program Director, served as Cantor.
The Mass greeters were students from ODU’s President’s Society and the Campus Ministry staff.
The Academic Procession was led by the Congregation of Dominican Sisters of Peace; ODU students; delegates representing colleges, universities and organizations; ODU staff; ODU faculty; ODU Board of Trustees; ODU vice presidents and the Stage Party.
Linda Schoen, PhD, ODU’s Interim Vice President for Academic Affairs and Dean of the Faculty, presided over the Installation Ceremony.
ODU student Julia Farkas, Class of 2012, sang the national anthem. Fr. John Boll, OP, provided the invocation.
Members of the community offered pledges and greetings to President Cimbolic on behalf of their constituents during the ceremony.
- The Honorable W. Carlton Weddington, State Representative 27th House of District, represented the Columbus community
- Nancy Recchie, Class of 1973, represented alumni
- Kaylin Hunsaker, Class of 2012, represented students
- Linda Schoen, PhD, represented staff
- John Thistlethwaite, PhD, ODU Assistant Professor of Anatomy & Physiology, represented faculty
- Sister Anne Munley, IHM, PhD, President, Marywood University, represented university and college delegates
- Thomas Winters, Class of 1972, Member of ODU’s Board of Trustees, represented the Board
- Sister Margaret Ormond, OP ’65, Congregation of Dominican Sisters of Peace, represented the Congregation
President Cimbolic’s daughter, Kathleen Cimbolic Gunthert, PhD, Associate Professor of Psychology, American University, introduced President Cimbolic.
She provided personal stories of her father and referenced his commitment to his family and education as well as his contributions to his church and the community.
Read President Cimbolic's inaugural address.