• Immigration Information

    F-1 Status: Duration of Status

    F-1 Status: Program Extension

    F-1 Status: On/Off Campus Employment

    F-1 Status: Employment of Dependents

    Visa Immigration Status other than F-1


    Each international student is required by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service policies to pursue his or her degree full-time, 12 credit hours per semester.

    • Each international student must be covered with adequate health insurance. Students at ODU will automatically be enrolled in health insurance specifically designed for international students.
    • Each student must have at all times a valid passport and I-94 card.
    • International students are not allowed to work off-campus without permission from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). Students who wish to work on campus must obtain permission from the International Office.
    • All international students must obtain a social security card in order to be able to work. Please stop by the International Office for more information. Students need to apply for a social security number (SSN) before beginning work. This applies to working both on and off campus.
    • F-1 students who leave the U.S. for a break must take a signed I-20 from the International Director in order to re-enter the country. In order to re-enter the U.S. it is usually necessary to have a valid visa stamped in the passport. Please contact the International Office for additional information on the documents need for travel.
    • Each international student must have a current local address and telephone number on file with the University. It is the responsibility of the students to update their address within 10 days of moving.

    Students in F-1 Status

    Duration of Status

    International students are admitted in the U.S. for "Duration of Status," which is noted as D/S in Form I-20 and in Form I-94. Duration of Status is the period during which you are pursuing a full course of studies as a full-time student at an approved educational institution and making normal progress towards completion of studies. Duration of Status may also include authorized practical training following completion of a course of study.

    Program Extension

    On your I-20 Form (part 5) you will find the date when you are expected to complete your studies. If you are not able to complete your studies in time, you must stop by the International Office and request for an extension.

    On Campus Employment

    You are permitted to work at Ohio Dominican University without special authorization from the USCIS. You are allowed to work no more than 20 hours during the Fall or Spring semesters. You may work 30 to 40 hours during summer vacation, provided you intend to enroll full-time the following semester.

    Off Campus Employment

    If you have been in F-1 status for at least 9 months and maintained good academic standing, you may apply for authorization for off-campus employment. You may be eligible through Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training or Economic Hardship.

    Curricular Practical Training: 

    You may be eligible for this training prior to your completion of studies when the curriculum practical training is an integral part of an established curriculum. Curricular practical training is defined to be employment that is required to complete graduation requirements or alternative work/study, internship, cooperative education, or any other type of required internship or practicum that is offered by sponsoring employers through cooperative agreements with the school.

    Optional Practical Training: 

    You may be eligible to be employed in a job which is directly related to your field of studies for up to one year. Some students will be eligible for additional work authorization depending on their major. Such employment may fall into three categories: 1) employment during your annual vacation if you enroll and intend to register for the next term; 2) employment while school is in session, provided that you work no more than 20 hours per week; 3) employment after you have completed your studies. The International Student Advisor must recommend practical training on Form I-20. Forms I-20 and I-765 must be completed and submitted to USCIS in Nebraska.

    Economic Hardship: 

     If you need to work due to an economic need in which you had not foreseen and beyond your control, you may apply to immigration for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD). Contact the International Office

    Student who have received one year or more of full-time curricular practical training are ineligible for post-completion practical training. Part-time curricular practical training is not counted toward the one year threshold at which a student loses eligibility for post completion practical training.

    Employment of Dependents

    F-2 dependents of students are not allowed to work at any time.

    Visa Immigration Status other than F-1

    International students other than F-1 may enroll at Ohio Dominican University. Persons in A, B, G, I , K, L, N, J-2, H-1 and H-4 status, may attend classes but do not need to enroll full-time. F-2 visa holders may only enroll in part-time study that is recreational or avocational in nature, and may not enroll in any classes that will count toward a degree. For additional information, please contact the International Office.

  • Submit Application

    Office of Admission

    Griffin Student Center
    Ohio Dominican University
    1216 Sunbury Road
    Columbus, Ohio 43219

    Phone: (614) 251-4500
    Toll Free (800) 955-6446
    Fax: (614) 251-0156