Data Science Program Goals | Outcomes & Careers
Program Goals and Outcomes
The goal of ODU’s Data Science program is to produce graduates with highly marketable skills in the field of data, and who possess excellent communication skills and recognize ethical and professional issues surrounding the collection and use of data.
Students will know how to:
- Identify data structures and formats conducive to analysis.
- Identify appropriate statistical concepts and techniques to apply to a broad range of data problems.
- Identify computational tools appropriate for a variety of data problems.
- Select presentation techniques appropriate for a variety of audiences.
- Recognize reliable sources of information and professional support.
Students will be able to:
- Query, clean, combine and structure data.
- Write clean, annotated, reusable code.
- Perform exploratory analysis.
- Design and perform statistical experiments.
- Apply and interpret the results of common statistical tests.
- Apply and evaluate machine-learning algorithms.
- Perform feature engineering to improve the quality of predictive models.
- Communicate their findings through clear writing, oral presentations and visualizations.
Students will recognize:
- The prevalence of data in today’s society.
- The importance of clear communication with colleagues and external stakeholders.
- Ethical issues surrounding the tension between human quest for data and human desire for privacy.
- The importance of practicing data curiosity and understand the value of continued professional development.
Graduates will be prepared to pursue a career in:
- Social Media
Ready to get started?
Have Questions? Contact us!
Dr. Anna Davis
Associate Professor of Data Science & Mathematics