ODU-to-OU Med School Early Assurance Program
Your Pathway to Med School Starts Here
Through Ohio Dominican University's partnership with Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, eligible students selected to enter the Med School Early Assurance Program can earn their undergraduate degree from ODU and their Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from the Heritage College in as few as seven years.
About the Medical Early Assurance Program
Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine is one of the top osteopathic programs in the nation and the only osteopathic medical program in Ohio. The ODU-to-OU Med School Early Assurance Program will accept a limited number of outstanding incoming freshman students each year who will be assured of acceptance into the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine, as long as they maintain the high academic standards of the agreement.
You will have the opportunity to follow one of the two tracks to completion:
- 3+4 Track – Attend Ohio Dominican for three years and count your first year of medical school at OU-HCOM as the last year of your undergraduate degree.
- 4+4 Track – Attend Ohio Dominican for a traditional four-year undergraduate experience, earning your undergraduate degree before entering medical school at OU-HCOM.
- OU-HCOM campus locations in Athens (main campus), Cleveland or Dublin, Ohio.
- Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) requirement is waived.
- Mentoring from a current Heritage College medical student who previously completed the EAP program.
- Access to programming and activities that provide a firsthand look into the medical school experience, including the EAP Leadership & Service Seminar Series (LS3), community service opportunities, and RUSP workshops at OU-HCOM.
Program Application, Requirements & Information
For admission to the ODU-to-OU Med School Early Assurance Program you must apply to both Ohio Dominican University and the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine EAP.
Please note: Participants in the ODU-to-OU Med School Early Assurance Program are offered conditional acceptance into the Ohio University Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine Program.
You will receive final acceptance in the OU-HCOM program providing all of the criteria are met (see Admission Requirements in the drop-down below).
In addition to being accepted by Ohio Dominican University and submitting a separate application to OH-HCOM, to be considered an applicant to the Early Assurance Program at the Heritage College, you must:
- Be an Ohio resident (for questions on residency requirements, click here).
- Graduate from an Ohio high school.
- Earn a minimum high school grade point average (GPA) of 3.5+ on a 4.0 unweighted scale.
- Have completed, or be in the process of completing, four units or credits each of high school math, English and science (including biology and chemistry; coursework in physics is strongly encouraged).
- Have the Guidance Counselor Evaluation form submitted and a letter of recommendation from a science teacher who taught you in class for a grade.
- Submit an official high school transcript.
- Submit an essay detailing why you wish to pursue a career in medicine.
- Be invited for a virtual interview with the Heritage College of Medicine that will take place in February or March.
To remain eligible as an EAP participant, students must:
- Have an overall GPA of 3.7 (and a GPA of 3.6 or higher in science coursework) at the completion of your undergraduate program.
- Complete the mock MCAT exam and earn a score of at least 500.
- Meet requirements for shadowing hours, extracurricular activities and community service.
The EAP Student Manual (which is provided to EAP students upon acceptance to the program) provides more details on student responsibilities and loss of conditional admission status.
- January 10, 2024 – Priority Deadline.
- February 15, 2024 – Final Deadline.
- January/February – Preliminary interviews on the ODU campus in Columbus, Ohio
- February/March – Virtual interviews with OU-HCOM
- March 31 – Final decisions are rendered (OU-HCOM will notify student of decision)
- With the ODU-to-OU Med School Early Assurance Program, you can earn your Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree in as few as seven years.
- ODU’s small class sizes allow professors to interact, instruct and mentor you on a personal level. You'll benefit from this hands-on approach to learning as you study and master complex skills.
- You’ll have the potential to complete the entire program in Central Ohio.
Sample Course Plan for 3+4 Track
Students enrolled in the Med School Early Acceptance Program’s 3+4 track must major in Biology. Select the sample course plan for Biology major below.
Sample Course Plan for 4+4 Track
Students enrolled in the Med School Early Acceptance Program’s 4+4 track can major in any program as long as they fulfill the pre-requisites for acceptance to OU-HCOM. Most students will choose to major in one of the sciences.
Select the sample course plans for Biology and Chemistry.
The following is a list of outside scholarship opportunities that may be available to you as you pursue ODU's Early Assurance programs.
|Health Careers Scholarship Program
|Mae & Mary Scholarship Fund
|Medical and Health Professionals Scholarship
|The Primary Health Network Health Professionals Scholarship
|Tylenol Future Care Scholarship
|National Health Service Corps
|AMWA Medical Education Scholarship (Need-Based)
|ACLS Medical Training Scholarship Program
Download Program Guide
Includes a program overview, sample semester plan and program course requirements.
Still have questions? Visit our FAQ page for more information.