Nursing Pathways at Ohio Dominican
Your Path to a Career in Nursing Starts at ODU
The need for qualified, competent and compassionate nurses is growing by the day. To help address this important need, we’re proud to partner with two distinguished Colleges of Nursing – Mount Carmel's College of Nursing and Xavier University’s Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing Program – to provide you with multiple options as you prepare to pursue a career in this rewarding field.
Whether you know as soon as you graduate from high school that you want to pursue nursing – or you decide halfway through your undergraduate studies at ODU – we have an option that fits your goals.
Mount Carmel Pre-Nursing Pathway
The Mount Carmel's College of Nursing (MCCN) and ODU Pre-Nursing Program is a popular option with students who know, soon after graduating from high school, that they want to pursue a career in nursing and also gain a traditional ODU education prior to enrolling at MCCN.
- Two-Year Advanced Placement Option – Allows you to spend two years in ODU’s Pre-Nursing Program pursuing an Associate of Science in Health Science, then transfer to MCCN for two years to earn your Bachelor of Science in Nursing.
- Multiyear Double-Degree Accelerated Option – Allows your to spend three and a half to four years at ODU earning a bachelor’s degree, then an additional three semesters at MCCN completing a Bachelor of Science in Nursing. This option is especially popular with student-athletes.
Xavier University Nursing Pathway
Xavier University’s Accelerated Bachelor of Science in Nursing (ABSN) Program is a great option for ODU students, regardless of major, who decide during their time at ODU that they would like to pursue a career in nursing upon the completion of their bachelor's degree.
- Accelerated Completion – Once you complete your degree at ODU, you can earn your BSN in just 16 months at Xavier University’s (XU) College of Nursing.
- Convenient Locations – You can choose to complete nursing school at XU’s locations in Columbus, Cleveland or Cincinnati.
- Guaranteed Seats – 45 seats are available to ODU students each year (five seats at each location per its three start terms).
High-Demand Career Opportunities
- Hospitals and healthcare facilities across the country are currently experiencing a significant nursing shortage.
- According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Registered Nursing (RN) is listed among the top occupations in terms of job growth through 2029.
- The registered nurse workforce is expected to grow from 3 million in 2019 to 3.3 million in 2029, which is an increase of 221,900 or 7%.
- The BLS projects 175,900 openings for RNs each year through 2029 when nurse retirements and workforce exits are factored into the number of nurses needed in the United States.