Graduates of the Accounting program will be prepared for the demands of the accounting profession, including public accounting and auditing, managerial and cost accounting, taxation, governmental and not-for-profit accounting, as well as having the necessary accounting and business coursework in preparation for the CPA and CMA examinations.
With the knowledge students gain from their accounting studies, ODU graduates will be able to:
- Apply Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) relating to financial statement preparation and disclosure.
- Analyze financial statements using cost accounting methods and decision-making strategies.
- Understand the business, legal and regulatory environment.
- Research appropriate standards, pronouncements, laws and other authority related to all accounting fields.
- Recommend ethical courses of action related to business decisions and issues.
Career opportunities with a degree in accounting include: Public Accounting
- Staff Accountant
- Tax Accountant
- Management Advisory Services
- Internal Auditor
- Management Accountant
- IRS Agent
- State Auditor
- Bank Examiner
- Municipal/Government Accountant
- University Accountant
- Charitable Organization Accountant
- Hospital Accountant