Update Browser
You are running an old version of Android

This site was optimized for modern browsers. Please consider updating your version of Android if able.
Update Browser
Your version of Internet Explorer is Outdated

This site has been optimized for modern browsers. Please consider either updating to the latest version of Internet Explorer, or consider viewing the site in Chrome or Firefox.

What services does Counseling Services offer?
Counseling Services is open Monday–Thursday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. We are closed over the summer. We provide individual, couples, and family counseling. Our license allows us to provide counseling to Ohio residents only. Therefore, out-of-state online students are not eligible for counseling services but we may be able to assist you with referrals.

Are the counselors credentialed?
Yes, We have a full time Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor and a part time counselor. 

How do I make an appointment with a counselor?
You can call 614-251-4570 or walk in to get scheduled. We are located on the second floor of the Bishop Griffin Center. Our hours are Monday–Thursday 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sessions are typically 50 minutes long.

Can I see a counselor without an appointment?
Counselors normally see students by appointment, except in cases of emergency.

Am I assigned a particular counselor?
Students normally see one counselor during their time at ODU. Unless you have a specific request, we will pair you with the counselor that best fits your unique needs and schedule.

How much does it cost?
Counseling services are free for students.

Will a record of my counseling services be kept confidential?
Any information shared between you and your counselor will be kept confidential.  The right to release any information regarding your case belongs to you and information can only be released by your authority and written consent.  The Wellness Center does not disclose counseling records, attendance, progress, or otherwise to any person, including academic records.  There are exceptions to confidentiality which your counselor can discuss with you.

What should I do in case of emergency or other urgent situation?
In case of emergency, always call 911 first.  If you are on campus, call Public Safety at 251-4700 to assist you before notifying Counseling Services.

What should I expect from counseling?
The counselor will talk to you about the issues and help you to identify your own personal goals for counseling. For example, this could be improving how you manage feelings, or dealing more effectively with relationships.

Counseling works best as a collaboration between you and the counselor. The counselor may ask questions to help understand your feelings and thoughts and how they affect your life. The counselor may make direct suggestions or may refer you to a more appropriate professional.