You’re invited to join Ohio Dominican University during the 2018–19 academic year on an exploration of our academic common theme of Justice.
The Office of Academic Affairs (through a grant from the National Endowment for the Humanities) and the Center for Dominican Studies are co-sponsoring the events, which provide comprehensive opportunities for the students, alumni, staff, faculty and friends to engage in the conversation together.
The following events are free and open to the public, and will be held on ODU’s campus at 1216 Sunbury Road, Columbus, 43219.
- Aug. 23, 2018 – Convocation, Presenter: Father Joshua Wagner, Diocese of Columbus; 10:45 a.m. in the Alumni Hall gymnasium
- Sept. 13, 2018 – “Justice and Global Poverty: Hearing the Cries of the Poor”; Presenter: Ronald Carstens, Ph.D., ODU professor of Political Science; 3:30 p.m. in the Colonial Room, Sansbury Hall
- Sept. 27, 2018 – “Justice for Immigrants: I Was a Stranger and You Welcomed Me”; Presenters: Julie Hart, Ph.D., ODU associate professor of Sociology; Rev. Joe Mas, immigration attorney; Austin Kocher, immigration activist; and Edith Espinal, undocumented immigrant; 3:30 p.m. in the Colonial Room, Sansbury Hall
- Oct. 11, 2018 – “Women, The Heartbeat of Society”; Presenters: Imali Abala, Ph.D., ODU professor of English; Virginia McCormack, Ed.D., ODU professor of Education; Kelsey Squire, Ph.D., ODU associate professor of English; and Anjel Stough-Hunter, Ph.D., ODU assistant professor of Sociology; 3:30 p.m. in the Colonial Room, Sansbury Hall
- Oct. 25, 2018 – “The Racial Divide”; Presenters: John Grant, Ph.D., ODU associate professor of Business and Dominican Sisters of Peace Associate; and Helen McKinley, Dominican Sisters of Peace Associate; 3:30 p.m. in the Colonial Room, Sansbury Hall
- Nov. 14, 2018 – St. Albert the Great Lecture, “New Strategies for Targeting Cancer: Shining Light on Transition Metal Complexes”; Presenter: Claudio Turro, Ph.D., Dow Professor at The Ohio State University; 11 a.m. in the Matesich Theatre, Erskine Hall
- Jan. 24, 2019 – St. Thomas Aquinas Lecture, “Light out of Darkness: Dominican Stories of Justice”; Presenters: Sr. Kathleen McManus, OP, Ph.D., associate professor of Theology at the University of Portland; 11 a.m. in the Matesich Theatre, Erskine Hall
- April 25, 2019 – St. Catherine of Siena Lecture, “Justice – Seeing Catherine through Contemporary Eyes”; Presenter: Sr. Megan McElroy, OP, D.Min., Dominican Sisters of Grand Rapids, Michigan; 3:30 p.m. in the Colonial Room, Sansbury Hall
Videos from past events hosted by ODU's Center for Dominican Studies are available to enjoy online. See Videos