Art Outcomes & Careers
Outcomes & Careers
ODU's Art graduates are prepared for a variety of careers in art, continuing on with graduate school or pursuing their craft by opening their own studio.
The Art major at Ohio Dominican University is a highly-individualized, student-centered program which embraces the rich historical Dominican tradition of art as a form of social justice and responsibility. It recognizes the power of art to educate, enrich and transform society while serving as a catalyst for developing creative and culturally competent and empathetic future generations. The program balances creative experimentation in a wide range of studio practices with art historical knowledge, the importance of community outreach and the embrace of art as a powerful means of communication. As part of a liberal arts institution, we educate the whole person, and in doing so, students learn to develop artwork in a variety of media that are informed by a well-rounded education and a profound sense of social responsibility integral to the Catholic and Dominican heritage of Ohio Dominican University. Our program embraces community service as a way to refine the student’s artistic practice, enact the force of good in the community and live the Dominican commitment to peace, justice, and outreach beyond the walls of the university. The Art major is committed to fostering a transformative, interdisciplinary education for learners who aspire to explore ideas that are hospitable for the well-being of individuals, communities and the planet and to envision and craft inclusive and equitable worlds for following generations.
Students who complete Ohio Dominican's Art program will:
- Develop an understanding of the power and unique role of art/art making in society.
- Develop a lifetime appreciation for art as a means of enrichment and learning.
- Develop an understanding of how art reflects and shapes cultural values and mirrors contemporary social history.
- Recognize the transference of culture and ideas through resolved artistic practices.
- Recognize that art making can be a useful tool for learning.
- Recognize and utilize the foundation skills of art in their own work. Understand the need for continual technical and intellectual growth.
- Develop the ability to evaluate and think critically about art and art making.
- Learn to compose, edit and revise using the computer, particularly and PowerPoint, Photoshop and Illustrator.
- Identify the importance of digital media in the contemporary art world.
- Learn how to write formal critiques and research papers of contemporary and historical artwork.
Career opportunities for graduates with an Art degree include:
- Advertising Agencies
- Art Centers
- Art Therapy
- Marketing & Design Firms
- Museums & Galleries
- News & Media
Job titles include:
- Art Directors
- Commercial Artists
- Graphic Artists
Chris Conroy, '04
Chris Conroy, owner of Conroy Coatings & Restoration, shares how his ODU education helped prepare him to start his company.