Cyber Security Program Goals | Outcomes & Careers
Program Goals and Outcomes
The goal of ODU’s cybersecurity program is to produce graduates with highly marketable skills in the field of computer and network security. Students will be able to identify areas of system vulnerability, understand processes to secure and protect complex systems, and know best practices in the event of a cyberattack to minimize impact as it relates to organizational and personal data.
Students will know how to:
- Understand the range of cyber threats present in modern society.
- Identify threat actors.
- Understand and apply all concepts to be an ethical hacker.
- Understand and apply all concepts to be an Information Systems Security Professional
Students will be able to:
- Display critical thinking and problem skills in relation to a wide range of cybersecurity challenges.
- Analyze and investigate cyber attacks and their aftermath.
- Display the ability to communicate technical concepts to both technical and non-technical stakeholders effectively.
- Secure vulnerable technical resources against a range of cyber threats and attacks.
- Identify and test vulnerabilities in a system
- Conduct a Cyber Forensic investigation of a security breach.
Students will recognize:
- How to be prepared to adapt to emerging threats within their field.
- The importance of cyber threats in today’s society.
- The importance of clearly communicating potential threats to stakeholders.
- Ethical issues surrounding the vulnerability of personal information in today’s society.
Graduates will be prepared to pursue a career in:
- Computer Companies
- Consulting Firms
- Financial Companies
- Government Agencies
- Large and Small Corporations
- Nonprofit Organizations
Ready to get started?
Have Questions? Contact us!