Political Science Outcomes & Careers
Outcomes & Careers
Graduates of ODU's Political Science program will be prepared for rewarding careers as professors and teachers, lawyers, civil servants, public administrators, policy analysts, diplomats, business leaders and more.
Students will understand:
- Governmental structure.
- Process and issues of politics in the United States.
- Legal theory and constitutional jurisprudence.
- International system, regional and global.
- Theoretical, philosophical and historical forces that create and destroy human and social relationships.
Students will be able to:
- Read and write critically about the subjects of politics.
- Research, organize and present coherent arguments.
- Think critically as a student and a citizen.
- Judge and evaluate political claims.
- Analyze and synthesize intellectual material.
Students will develop an appreciation of the:
- Life of the mind.
- Requirements of community.
- Material and spiritual requirements of personal and communal freedom.
- General/particular and inductive/deductive levels of discourse.
- Oneself and of human freedom as the source of personal and social effectiveness.
- Federal, state and local government
- Public policy and private interests groups
- Businesses and corporations
- Regional, transnational and international organizations
- Campaign management
- High school and college teaching