Tornado Safety Locations
Where to Seek Shelter
Peak tornado season in Ohio is generally April through July, but tornadoes can and have occurred at any time, during any season.
Safe Areas by Building
These areas on campus have been designated as safe areas to gather during a tornado or severe weather situation.
- Alumni Hall – 1st floor locker rooms or hallway outside of the locker rooms.
- Aquinas – If you are in a 1st floor room, stay in your room, get under desks or bed. If you are on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th floor, go to stairwells or 1st floor hallways..
- Battelle Hall – 1st floor restrooms and storage spaces.
- Bishop James A. Griffin Student Center – 1st floor in the food service hallway/ dock area.
- Erskine Hall – Panther Plaza near stairwell (NOT where there is the high ceiling), and interior hallways.
- Fitness Center – Locker rooms.
- Fitzpatrick – Basement as close to the west end of the building as possible, not in stairwell.
- Guzman – Basement.
- Guzman Annex – Basement.
- Hamilton Hall - Interior kitchens.
- Las Casas – Basement.
- Lynam – 1st floor north end of building.
- Peace Hall - 1st floor interior hallways and main entrance stairwell lowest level.
- Physical Plant – Main hallway with the doors closed.
- Sansbury – 1st floor western hallway with the doors closed.
- Siena – If you are in a 1st floor room, stay in your room, get under desks or bed. If you are on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th floors, go to stairwells and 1st floor hallways.
- Spangler – Bottom floor outside of the LVC..
- St. Albert’s – 1st floor in the storage areas and restrooms. If unavailable, then interior hallway with doors closed.
- Wehrle – Bottom floor, ceramics room. If closed, go near restrooms or in photo lab.
These locations are NOT safe to be in during a tornado.
You must exit these locations, move toward the lowest ground possible and get down if a tornado touch-down seems likely.
- Batting Building – Get out and head down to the baseball field (ditch).
- Maintenance Garage – Get out and head towards the creek.
- SRC – Get out and head toward the creek.
AED (automated external defibrillator) Locations
- Alumni Hall – Stairwell to coach’s offices.
- Alumni Hall – In Fitness Center.
- Bishop James A. Griffin Student Center – 1st floor on wall in rear hallway.
- Erskine Hall – On wall outside Room 133.
- Peace Hall – First floor entrance on wall across from restrooms.
- Sansbury Hall – First floor lobby on west side wall.
- Spangler Learning Center – On pillar on main floor east side of building.
- SRC – In Training Room.