Housing Exemption Policies
Housing Exemption Policies
Please see the below policies and procedures regarding requests for exemption from residence requirements.
- Complete the Housing Exemption Request Form in its entirety. An incomplete request will not be considered.
- Return the form either through email, mail or in person to the Office of Residence Life, 145 Erskine Hall, 1216 Sunbury Road, Columbus, OH 43219.
- If you are requesting an exemption, you must include documentation. Present your documentation in a clear, concise, orderly, and logical fashion. Be specific. It is imperative that your documentation be thorough to ensure a fair and timely evaluation of your request. Failure to present this documentation may result in a delay in the final decision.
- Your petition will be reviewed by an Office of Residence Life staff member within 10 business days of receipt and an email notification will be sent to inform you of the final decision. Your parent(s)/guardian(s) will be contacted to verify your indicated residence.
- You may be contacted for an appointment and your parent(s)/guardian(s) may be requested to be at the interview.
- All full-time students with less than 60 credit hours are required to live on campus. Exemptions from this policy are granted to students living with their parents or legal guardians at their permanent address within a 40 mile radius who are not receiving an athletic scholarship. More specifically, the following conditions must be met by the student to be eligible for an exemption.
- Students must live at the same address with either one or both of their parents/legal guardians at their permanent address for the entirety of the semester for which the student has been exempted. Students will not be exempted from their residency requirement to live with other family members (e.g. grandparents, aunts, uncles, brothers, sisters, etc.) or friends. In addition, the parent(s)/legal guardian(s) must reside and hold a permanent address within a 40 mile radius of Ohio Dominican University. Students must provide a photocopy of their parent’s/guardian’s driver’s license and a copy of a utility bill. If there is a difference in last name between the student and the parent, the application must be accompanied with documentation of proof of relationship.
- Students may be exempted from the residency requirement if they possess compelling and substantial medical reasons that can be verified with appropriate documentation. Medical reasons must verify that a physical or emotional condition prevents the student from residing in the residence halls. All medical reasons must be substantiated with official documentation from the student’s personal physician or therapist including the specific reasons(s) preventing the student from living on campus. The student may be asked to fill out a medical release form if additional information is needed from the healthcare professional.
- Students may be exempted from the residence requirement if they have at least 60 credits.
- Fulfilling the listed documentation requirements for exemption will not constitute an automatic release from the residency requirement. The University reserves the option to require students who are under 60 credits to live on campus.
- Failure to attain an approved exemption of sign up for on-campus housing from the Office of Residence Life will result in the posting of a no-show charge in the amount of one semester’s Residence Hall standard double room and board to the student’s account. Nonpayment of this charge could result in the cancellation of classes and the student will be restricted from registering for any additional classes.
- Any student found to be providing false information on this form or during a personal interview will be subject to disciplinary charges.