Master of Arts in TESOL Outcomes
Outcomes & Careers
Learning OutcomesGraduates are able to:
- Use research into the structure and acquisition of language to help English learns (ELs) develop language, literacy and content knowledge.
- Use research into the nature and role of culture and cultural groups to construct supportive learning environments for ELs.
- Use evidence-based principles and practices to plan, implement and manage standards-based ESOL and content instruction.
- Understand assessment issues in TESOL and use standards-based measures with ESOL students.
- Use knowledge of TESOL, both past and present, to reflect on and improve professional practices.
Career OpportunitiesGraduates of ODU’s MATESOL program can pursue English as a Second Language careers in a variety of fields, such as:
- Teachers of children and adults in the United States and abroad
- Program directors
- Placement test coordinators
- Educational program material developers
By earning their TESOL endorsement, teachers who are already licensed in another subject area are prepared to teach English as a Second Language.
ODU TESOL graduates may also pursue advanced degrees, such as their doctorate in TESOL.