The Reading Endorsement, completed at the graduate level, may be added to any standard teaching license such as Early Childhood, Middle Childhood, Intervention Specialist, Adolescence to Young Adult (AYA), or Multi-Age licenses.
- Classes are entirely online.
- Total of five courses offered in eight-week sessions.
- Can be completed in one year.
- Transfer credit may be accepted.
- May be combined with ODU's Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction.
- May be used to renew your teaching license.
- Fulfills requirements for the Graduate Reading Endorsement (P-12). The courses are aligned to meet the International Reading Association (IRA) standards and guidelines set forth by the Ohio Board of Regents.
- Prepares teaching for the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) exam.
Applicants for the Reading Endorsement must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Have a teaching certificate/license.*
- Be currently teaching or have access to an academic classroom.
- Have successfully completed (or will complete) 9 semester hours of reading at the undergraduate or graduate level from an accredited program.
AND have one of the following:
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.000 or higher.
- Completed at least nine semester hours at the graduate level from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with an overall grade point average of 3.000 or higher.
*This program does not lead to initial licensure. Applicants must possess a teaching
certificate/license for admission into a program. The expectation is that an applicant
is a practicing teacher. Many of the courses in the programs require experiences in
If the applicant is currently teaching, his/her own classroom may be used for most experiences. An applicant who is not currently teaching must make arrangements for classroom access to complete assignments.
How to Apply for a Reading Endorsement
Your online application, fee and all supporting documents listed below must be received in order to process your application.
- Application: Complete an online graduate application.
- Fee: Pay a $25 application fee. This fee is waived for ODU alumni, military veterans,
and active members of the armed forces.
Payment is due before we can process your application. You may pay by check - mail or drop it off to the Office of Graduate Admissions - or through our secure online form.
Pay Application Fee
- License: Fax or mail a copy of your current teaching license.
- Transcripts: Send official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Statement: Review and electronically sign the Education Courses Leading to Endorsements Acknowledgement
Sign Acknowledgement Statement .
- View course descriptions for pre- and co-requisites.
|EDU 211 Teaching Phonics & Structure of Language
Taken at the undergraduate level for students who have not already completed the requirement during their initial licensure coursework.
|EDU 518 Content Area Reading: Instruction & Technology||3|
|EDU 520 Non-fiction Literature, Common Core & Teaching of Reading||3|
|EDU 610 Reading in the Social Setting||3|
|EDU 620 Advanced Assessment & Remediation in Teaching Reading||3|
- Please Note: To earn the Reading Endorsement, you must complete the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE).