By completing additional coursework and passing the Ohio Assessment for Educators (OAE) ESOL test, candidates will qualify for the TESOL Multi-Age Endorsement while earning the Master of Education degree.
Applicants for the TESOL Endorsement must:
- Hold a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- Have a teaching certificate/license.*
- Be currently teaching or have access to an academic classroom.
AND have one of the following:
- An undergraduate cumulative grade point average of 3.000 or higher.
- Completed at least nine semester hours at the graduate level from a regionally accredited institution of higher education with an overall grade point average of 3.000 or higher.
*This program does not lead to initial licensure. Applicants must possess a teaching
certificate/license for admission into a program. The expectation is that an applicant
is a practicing teacher. Many of the courses in the programs require experiences in
If the applicant is currently teaching, his/her own classroom may be used for most experiences. An applicant who is not currently teaching must make arrangements for classroom access to complete assignments.
How to Apply for a TESOL Endorsement
Your online application, fee and all supporting documents listed below must be received in order to process your application.
- Application: Complete an online graduate application.
- Fee: Pay a $25 application fee. This fee is waived for ODU alumni, military veterans,
and active members of the armed forces.
Payment is due before we can process your application. You may pay by check - mail or drop it off to the Office of Graduate Admissions - or through our secure online form.
Pay Application Fee
- License: Fax or mail a copy of your current teaching license.
- Transcripts: Send official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended.
- Statement: Review and electronically sign the Education Courses Leading to Endorsements Acknowledgement
Sign Acknowledgement Statement
The Master of Education in Curriculum & Instruction with TESOL Endorsement consists of 36 credit hours.
- View Education course descriptions for pre- and co-requisites.
- View TESOL course descriptions for pre- and co-requisites.
|EDU 511 Curriculum & Instruction||3|
|EDU 515 Assessment Practices||3|
|EDU 546 Instructional Decision-Making||3|
|EDU 560 Research Methods in Education||3|
|EDU 596 Theory into Practice||3|
|TESOL Elective Courses||Credits|
|TSL 520 Language Acquisition & Development||3|
|TSL 530 The English Language||3|
|TSL 540 Cultural Diversity & Education||3|
|TSL 560 Instructional Methods in TESOL||3|
|TSL 580 Assessment of ESOL Learners||3|
|EDU 584 Seminar in Teaching and Learning||3|
|EDU 625 Portfolio Development||3|
|Total Credits Required||36|